Thursday, December 4, 2008

Ok Ok I know it has been FOREVER since I have posted! I am sorry! Here is a quick update....

Last Friday something very sad and disappointing happened. I was running - going for a 90 minute run and somehow hurt my back really really bad. It feels/felt almost like a pinched nerve. The best way I can describe it is the same feeling when you sleep weird and your neck hurts really bad when you wake up - however the pain is in my lower back. I think it was a combination of things that triggered it.

1) It was Black Friday and I had stayed up late the night before shopping, so my body was really tired.
2) I had slept in the front seat of the car for a while the night before while Sheridan was driving us back from the Outlet malls.
3) It was very very cold outside, and I probably wasn't dressed warm enough for the cold (I had a pair of running pants and a long sleeved dry fit with gloves and a hat, I probably should have been wearing a jacket of some sort).

So, I was about 60 minutes into the run and I sort of tripped on a raised sidewalk. I didn't fall down, but just sort of stumbled. Well, my lower back started to hurt really badly and after about 8-10 minutes it hurt to even walk. I had to stop at a Starbucks and call Sheridan to have him come get me because I was too cold to walk the rest of the way home and it hurt my back to run. The pain is in my lower back/butt area and it hurts especially bad if I am walking/running down hills. I tried to run on Monday but could only get in about 15 minutes without it hurting.

So, long story short, I emailed my coach from college and he said that it sounds like a sciatic nerve issue and that I CAN NOT RUN the marathon unless this gets fixed!! So I immediately scheduled an appointment with a physical therapist – it was today at 11am. The appointment went really well - the physical therapist determined that is is my L5S1 joint in my back that likely got irritated when I tripped. He adjusted my back and it feels so much better!! It is still sore and tender, but not the same sharp pain I was in before. I was given some stretches to do over the next few days and he thinks with some IB profen I should be ok to run.

He did warn me, however, that I need to start mentally preparing myself that if my back starts to hurt really bad during the race I need to be prepared to stop running and not finish the race. He told me that I need to remember and realize that it is not because I didn’t train hard enough or not because I am not tough enough, but just because I injured myself I may have to stop running if the pain in my back is causing my form to fall apart or put me in too much pain.

So, the good news is that I can run!! The bad news is that it may be painful. But, that is ok. I am excited!! I am not allowed to run tomorrow though and only 1 mile on Friday. The other thing that makes me nervous is that I really haven't ran since last Friday (have been doing a little cross training). I do think, however, that I have a strong enough base that I should be ok. Anyways....it is very late and I need to get to bed!! I probably won't post again until after the marathon....wish me luck!!

No comments: